Horror movie convention promoter speaks out after Busey accusations
CHERRY HILL, NJ (AP) — A horror movie convention promoter said he was helping authorities following charges against actor Gary Busey over alleged sexual offenses at an event in the New Jersey earlier this month.
Busey, 78, was charged on Friday with two counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual interference, one count of attempted criminal sexual contact and one count of harassment following alleged actions from August 12-14 in the Monster Mania convention at the Doubletree Hotel in Philadelphia. suburb of Cherry Hill, police said on Saturday.
Monster-Mania Convention said in a Facebook post that after attendees complained, an “unspecified celebrity guest was removed from the convention and told not to return.”
“Monster-Mania also encouraged participants to contact the police to file a report,” the company said, adding that behavior that compromises the safety and well-being of participants will not be tolerated. “Monster-Mania will continue to assist the authorities in any way possible,” he said.
“It was a question of contacts. It was about touching,” Lt. Robert Scheunemann told the Philadelphia Inquirer of the multiple complaints police had received about Busey’s conduct.
Busey, who lives in Malibu, Calif., was to be the featured guest for the three-day event.
Police did not immediately respond to a message asking for details. It was also unclear whether Busey had an attorney to comment on the charges, and a representative did not immediately return a message seeking comment on Saturday.
Busey is widely known as a character actor, largely in supporting roles, although he rose to prominence and was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for playing the title role in the film. from 1978’s “The Buddy Holly Story”.